Monday, June 28, 2010

Fried Squash&Zucchini

I went digging through my garden today to see if I had anything else ripe. Low and behold, I saw a pair of massive yellow crooknecks and another pair of huge zuccini staring back at me. I've been getting 10-15 squash a week off these plants, which I either share with the neighbors or chop up and freeze.

Tonight, I decided I'd fry up some of these 4 for my kids, then boil the rest for myself. I usually do the spices a bit different every time in the flour mix, and tonight was no different. I used:

2 cups flour
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp marjoram
2 tbsp celery seed
2 tbsp coriander
2 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp basil
1 tbsp thyme

I thick-slice the frying pieces, drop them into the flour, then let them dry. After they're dry, I drop them into an egg/milk bath, then re-coat with flour. This gives them a really nice, crunchy exterior and lots of room for the herbs to stick. I also only fry them enough for the batter to get crunchy - overcooking squash or eggplant in the frying pan leaves them all mushy.

On the topic of mushy, its been my experience that yellow squash goes goopy way, way faster than zucchini does, regardless of how you cook it. The zucchini will usually stay pretty crisp unless it's severely overcooked, and I like a bit of crunch to my veggies.

I fried up 20ish slices the size of my palm. In the time it took me to write this far, Bear has already eaten 11 of them. At least he's eating his veggies!

Another thing I did today was go and clean the ceiling fans in the house. That's one of the worst kinds of cleaning in my opinion - no matter how you go about it, you end up spreading the mess everywhere. Use a broom and the dust goes flying. Use a vacuum and the dust goes flying. Use a sponge and you end up with a nice brown dust gravy dripping onto your head and running down your arm. You can't win for trying on these things. If someone invents a self-cleaning ceiling fan, I'm totally buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment